North Melbourne Recreation Centre includes both the main building and the North Melbourne Pool down the street.
This outdoor pool area is open from 1 October until 30 April.
We have four outdoor pools including:
- a 25 metre outdoor pool (six lanes for lap swimming, open seasonally);
- two shallow children's splash pools with shade sails (great for babies and toddlers);
- water play pool;
- change rooms and shower facilities.
We are an accredited Watch Around Water centre, meaning there are guidelines (see below) that must be followed when visiting us.
North Melbourne Recreation Centre has facilities available for hire, which can be booked for your exclusive use. We have function rooms, meeting rooms, pool lanes, a stadium, a theatre available for hire - all of which provide a blank canvas for your next event.
Area Prices Mezzanine function room
(8m long x 9.5m wide approx. with tables, chairs, computer and projector available)
$60.00 per hour Pool lane hire
$57.00 per lane per hour
(Note: individuals will be required to pay a casual pool entry in addition to lane hire. Whole pool bookings are also available.)
Stadium court hire
(basketball, futsal, netball, volleyball)
$60.00 per court per hour
- Submit a facility hire enquiry on our website
- A member of our team will get back to you to confirm the booking
- Bookings are subject to terms and conditions
- For more information on facility hire, please contact us.
For more information on facility hire, please contact us.
Watch Around Water policy information
YMCA Victoria is a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines that outline the minimum supervision requirements of young children at aquatic venues.
We have followed the Watch Around Policy (outlined below) in our centre since 1 September 2019.
Children under five years old
- All children must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 17 and be supervised within arms’ reach at all times in the water.
- All children must wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under five years exceeds the ratio of 1:2.
Children under 10 years old
- All children under the age of 10 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 17.
- All children must be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices
- such as mobile phones).
- All children must wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
- All children under the age of 10 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 17 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
- All birthday party participants must wear a blue wristband and an age-based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party.
- The adult guardian of the birthday party child must remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
- At the conclusion of the birthday party, children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
For more information visit the Watch Around Water website.